Even as a missionary, it’s easy to get distracted from God.
Just like at home, sometimes we have a long day. Sometimes we drink too much caffeine and lie awake until 4 a.m. Sometimes we oversleep and miss morning devotions.
Sometimes those things are connected.
This morning was kind of like that. I woke up slowly and very groggily, so I was running late. Breakfast was coffee and a blueberry muffin from the gas station I always walk by. It was a good muffin, but I actually preferred the wrapper.
Crosses are all around us daily, reminding us of God’s tremendous love and what He has done for us, but I especially liked this one. I like the ruggedness of the muffin crumbs, the contrast of their gold and flax against the dark background. I like that it’s not perfect or clean or completely symmetrical. I like that there’s beauty in what seems to have no value.
I like that despite its flaws, it still conveys a message and points people to God.
That’s why we’re here, too.
Things are going well as we settle in to life and work here. Please join us in praying for these needs and joys:
- Praise that our adjustments here are going well, especially for the kids. Please pray that this continues for us here and our family back home.
- Praise for technologies like Vonage, email, and the Internet, which allow us to stay in touch with loved ones and to share more effectively our work here. Please pray for us to work more efficiently in doing so.
- Gratitude for such a beautiful place to live and minister; it is tremendously refreshing to our spirits to be surrounded by so much of His grandeur and majesty.
- Gratitude for so many wonderful colleagues who help us, befriend us, and offer us ways to be helpful to them.
- For guidance as our office explores the best ways to use our opportunities and abilities for God’s kingdom.
- For relationships with South Africans in order to receive their stories and share Christ with them.
- For our friend Learnmore, his family, his work, and his country (Zimbabwe). Please pray especially that God would provide transportation and funds for two upcoming conferences (one where he would preach and one for the SIM Zimbabwe team’s spiritual renewal).
- Praise that South Africa’s elections earlier this week were peaceful. Please also pray that their leaders, ours, and those all around the world would govern justly, fairly, wisely, and virtuously.